Are you getting ready for breast augmentation? This procedure can transform how you look and feel by placing an implant into the breast. If you’re thinking about breast augmentation, keep reading to learn five important things every woman should know before surgery.
Most Women Love Their Results
Many women feel a bit nervous about how they’ll look and feel after breast augmentation. This excited nervousness is common. Talk with your surgeon to alleviate any concerns you may have. The good news is, most women are very happy with their results. One study found that 98% of women felt their augmentation results met or exceeded expectations. Odds are, you’re going to love your new look and we’ll do our best to ensure that you’re completely happy with your breast augmentation decision.
Saline and Silicone Both Have Benefits
Saline or silicone? This is a complex choice, one that you’ll have to make before your surgery, but you won’t have to make it alone. Dr. Lee will work with you to choose the best implant type for your situation. Both saline and silicone have unique benefits.
- Saline Implants– Saline implants are generally less expensive than silicone implants. They can be filled inside of the breast, leaving a smaller incision. If a saline implant ruptures, you’ll know and the solution will be absorbed safely by the body. Some women find that saline implants are uncomfortable in cold weather, as the implant may not heat to the core body temperature.
- Silicone Implants- Silicone implants have a very natural feel, even outside of the breast. They tend to have a lower rupture rate than saline implants, but if they do leak, you won’t know. Silicone implants require regular checks to ensure implant integrity.
Plan on a Replacement in the Future
When you get your first implants, plan on a future surgery or two. Most women will need to replace their implants at some point in the future, hopefully decades away. Implants are long lasting and can last for many years with no problems, but leaks and ruptures can occur. You may also choose implant exchange or removal in the future to change your breast size as your lifestyle and needs change.
Choose Your Surgeon Carefully
The biggest factor determining your breast augmentation success is your choice of a surgeon. Choose your surgeon carefully, looking for a highly experienced, board certified plastic surgeon like Dr. Lee. The right surgeon minimizes the risks of breast augmentation and helps to ensure a stunning, natural looking result.
Breast Implants Are Low Maintenance, but Do Require Some Care
Most of the time, you won’t even notice your breast implants. Don’t forget about them entirely though. Implants are low maintenance, but do require some care. Here are a few things you should do to ensure optimal life for your implants and good health for your breasts:
- Check Your Silicone Implants- We recommend an MRI every few years to look for leaks.
- Get Your Mammograms- Breast implants can make mammograms more difficult, but they are still important. We’ll help you determine how often a mammogram is needed.
- Watch for Changes- Pay attention to your breasts and watch for changes in how they feel. Let us know if you notice anything unexpected. It can be helpful to meet with your plastic surgeon on occasion to ensure that your implants are working properly.
Love your breasts with breast augmentation. Call to schedule your consultation with us today!